Egress Windows Whitby
Window Enlargements, Cut Outs and Egress. Create a legal basement …
Egress Window Requirements in Whitby
Many homeowners are under the impression that an egress window is a special type of window. In fact, any window can be an egress window as long as it meets the requirements outlined in the Ontario building code. For your window to qualify as a legal egress window it must meet the following conditions:
- The window must have an openable area that is larger than 3.8 square feet. That means that you should only include the area of the glass in this calculation, window frame not included
- The window must not have any dimension that is less than 15 inches (Also referring to the unobstructed openable area)
- The window can be opened without the use of any special tools or knowledge
- When the window opens into a window well, the well should have an unobstructed clearance of at least 22 inches.
- If the window well has a cover, it must be openable without the use of any special tools or knowledge
- It is recommended that the window is not more than 40 inches above the basement floor but that requirement can usually be accommodated by placing a piece of furniture under the window
As long as a window follows the requirements outlined above, it can qualify as a legal egress window. Sometimes egress status can be accomplished without having to enlarge the wall opening (for example by converting a slider window with a casement window with a retrofit installation). If you are unsure whether your window needs to be replaced or enlarged, give us a call for a free consultation.
Egress Window Installation Process
When you call us to schedule a free estimate, we will send out one of our certified estimators to help understand your needs for the project. Once we get an idea of what you would like to accomplish, we can make suggestions and work out the best way to complete your project within your timeframe and budget. Once the details of the project have been worked out, we will write up a quote that outlines the work that will be done and the associated costs.
Once we agreed on the scope of the job, our expert installers will come to take precision measurements. They will also confirm that the job can be done safely and efficiently as explained by the estimator. The installer will also measure to make sure that all the sizes are in compliance with the Ontario Building Code and municipal regulations. The measurement process is quick and shouldn’t take longer than 10 minutes.
Our expert installers are insured and certified to the latest installation standards. Installing egress windows can be a complicated job especially when horizontal cuts are being made to the foundation of the house. In this type of installation, having installers that thoroughly understand the work and can perform it professionally is very important. You can usually tell a good installer apart from a bad one by asking if they are willing to do the work with a home inspector present. There are many opportunities to cut corners and many companies often do. Providing adequate support, seal and framing for the window can add to the cost of labour but is vital for the long term integrity of the window and preventing costly repairs in the future.
One of the important and often overlooked aspects of a proper installation is the cleanup. Removing soil, debris and other waste is important for both the cleanliness and safety of a job site. While a thorough cleanup can be time-consuming, we believe it is an important part of the project and we don’t leave the site until proper cleanup is completed.
Secondary Suite Zoning By-laws in Whitby,ON
The city of Whitby defines a secondary suite as a self-contained set of rooms that can be us. According to the city of Whitby, a secondary suite is a unit that:
- Contains set of rooms that can be used as an independent unit
- Contains a bathroom, cooking and sleeping facilities that will be used exclusively by the inhabitants of that unit
- Has a separate or shared means of access
- Can be located on any floor of the house
In addition, the secondary suite must comply with the Ontario Building Code, Ontario Fire Code and Whitby’s zoning and property By-laws.
You can find more information about the process of registering and getting permits for your secondary suite on the city of Whitby website.
Whitby Secondary Suites Zoning By-laws
The zoning laws that are relevant to creating a secondary suite in your house are:
- You must have a minimum lot frontage of 10 metres (32.8 Feet) for a semi-detached house and 10.5 meters (34.4 Feet) for a single detached house.
- Only one additional secondary suite is allowed per house
- The floor area of the secondary suite should not be bigger than 45% of the total floor area of the house
- A lot with an accessory apartment should have 40% of the front yard landscaped as open space
- A house with an accessory apartment needs to be serviced by municipal water and sanitary sewer services
- One parking spot needs to be provided for the secondary unit
- A home business is not allowed in the main dwelling or the secondary suite in houses with a secondary suite.
Why Choose Egress Window Experts
As the leading Egress window company in Ontario, we have the knowledge and experience to complete your project on time and on budget. We have installed hundreds of egress windows and know what it takes to safely install an egress window that will withstand the test of time and not compromise the structural integrity of your house. We routinely work with the toughest city inspectors and know what it takes to install egress windows that pass the toughest scrutiny. We can also help with:
- Permit applications for your project
- Window and door enlargements
- Basement walkouts
- & more!
Call us today to get a free consultation from one of our experts!