Egress Windows Milton
Egress Window Requirements in Milton
Like any other municipality in Ontario, the Town of Milton requires homeowners to meet the Ontario building code specifications when installing an egress window. Below you can find a list of these specifications before starting your project:
- The minimum opening requirement for an egress window in Ontario is 3.8 sqft (0.35 sqm)
- There must be no dimension smaller than 15 inches.
- If a homeowner chooses to install a slider window as an egress window then only the openable portion of the window counts towards the dimension requirements.
- If a homeowner chooses to install an awning window then they need to make sure that the sash can support itself in the open position
- Whichever window type is used, it must open without the use of any special tools or knowledge.
- If the window opens into a window well there must be a minimum clearance of 22”.
Escape Window Requirements in Milton
Escape windows are slightly different from Egress windows and are required under different circumstances. Escape windows are often required when converting the basement into a secondary suite and the fire code requires the installation of an additional means of escape. When discussing your project with an engineer or a city inspector, make sure to clarify whether the required window is an escape or an egress window. Below are the requirements for an escape window:
- The minimum opening requirement for an escape window in Milton is 4.1 sq f which equals 0.38 sq m
- There must be no dimension smaller than 18 inches
- Just like with egress windows, if the sliding window is installed to serve as an escape window then only the openable position counts towards the dimension requirements.
- If the awning window is installed to serve as an escape window then the sash must be able to support itself in the open position.
- On the exterior sill height for escape windows must not exceed 3’3” (~1000mm) above or below ground level
- Sill height cannot exceed 2’11” (~900mm) below the floor level of the interior.
- A window well projection of 39” is required, measured from the edge of the open window.
Types of Egress Windows
Egress windows aren’t required to be any specific style. However, home/property owners need to keep in mind that if they pick a sliding window to serve as egress, then only the openable portion of the window will count towards the municipality requirements. Let’s take a look at the most common types of windows that serve as egress.
Casement windows swing out open using a crank handle. They open outwards to 90 degrees so there must be enough clearance on the outside of the window in order for the casement window to fully open and provide an escape route. Casement windows can be manufactured to be up to 72” wide.
In-swing casement windows have side hinges and open inwards like a door. In-swing casement windows have a single pane that creates a wider opening. However, there is a width limit of 36” for this type of window and it must not be installed in recess with the ceiling. Otherwise, the window will not be able to fully open.
Hopper windows open upwards and do not require any additional support to stay open. This is important because the escape route must be easily accessible. However, hopper windows require enough clearance above in order to fully open without hitting the ceiling. There is also a dimension restriction of 36” in order for the opening mechanism to be able to support the weight of the window when it is open.
Tilt and turn windows opening mechanism works similarly to in-swing windows, but they also can be tilted. Tilting the window comes in handy when you only want a slight airflow instead of opening the window completely. Tilt and turn windows can be easily installed if there is enough clearance on the inside of the suite. The width limit is 40” for this type of window in order to support the sash weight.
Cutting and Enlarging Windows for Egress
It’s likely that the original basement windows on your property are not big enough to serve as egress windows. There are usually two ways to install an egress window. You can either cut a new opening that’s big enough or you can enlarge an existing window.
Cutting an existing window is the best way to enlarge it. It is also often easier to get a permit for a vertical enlargement than for a horizontal one. The reason for this is because a vertical enlargement does not require any additional support to be provided for brick and floor joists.
Usually, a 28” x 18” window has to be enlarged down to 32”. This allows the openable portion to be big enough to meet the Ontario Building Code requirements. Please note that there are frame deductions to be included when calculating the size of the openable portion.
Some basements allow enough space for a completely above-grade egress window and some don’t. If there isn’t enough room above grade then you will also need a window well and proper drainage installed in order to prevent flooding and water damage.
If you still choose to go ahead with a horizontal enlargement instead, then keep in mind that there will be additional work required. We would have to install a steel lintel in order to provide proper support for the brick. We would also need to install a wooden header in order to support floor joists. Before scheduling a horizontal enlargement we will also need to make sure that there is nothing on the exterior of the house that can interfere with the process.
Egress Window Cost in Milton
There is no fixed price for an egress window installation as there are multiple factors that affect the price. Each installation requires a thorough inspection with one of our technicians in order to receive an accurate quote. However, in order to help our customers budget for the project we have put together a general outline of what to expect:
- If you already have a window with a big enough opening to serve as egress then you can simply replace the old window with a single pane window. Usually, the price for this type of replacement is about $1000. Manufacturing and installation are included.
- If you need to enlarge an existing small window then most likely we will have to do excavation and install window well and drainage. In this case, you should budget for $2000-$3000.
- If you need to enlarge an existing small window but you have enough room to do so without excavation then the price of the job is about $1400-$2400.
- If you need to cut out a new opening for the egress window then the project becomes a bit more complicated. Any new opening must be provided with proper support to maintain the building’s structure. If we also have to excavate then we will also need to install a window well and drainage to prevent leaks and damage. The price for a job like this varies between $2800 and $3500.
If you are still unsure of what kind of work needs to be done in order to install an egress window for your basement, feel free to give us a call and we will be happy to consult you.
Egress Window Installation Process
The process of installation has 4 stages: estimate appointment, measurements, installation and clean up.
An Estimate appointment is your initial appointment with us. During this time our technician will come to your location to assess the situation and provide you with the best solution in order to meet all your needs, timeframe and budget. Once all the details are discussed you will receive a quote with a full breakdown of the job.
After that, we send our team of installers to complete all required measurements. They will also make sure that preferred dimensions meet the Ontario Building Code requirements and confirm that the project can be completed safely. Usually, this appointment doesn’t take longer than 10 minutes.
Installation is the stage that everyone is looking forward to most. Our team of egress window installers are certified to the latest industry standards. Egress window installation can be a complicated job depending on what kind of work needs to be done. More often than not, companies take shortcuts when it comes to completing the job. This only results in damages and costly repairs in the long run. A simple way to check your installers’ credibility is to ask them to do the job with the inspector present on site. We are always ready to work with a home inspector present.
Clean-up is the final stage of the installation process. Egress Experts provide a full clean-up upon the completion of the job. It is very important to remove soil, debris and any other waste to keep the job site safe. Our team never leaves until they finish the clean-up.
Egress Window Permit in Milton
Just like other municipalities, the Town of Milton requires home/property owners to obtain a building permit before making the following changes to the exterior of the house:
- Cutting a new opening for a door and/or window
- Enlarging the existing opening for a door and/or window
- Constructing a basement walkout
- Creating a secondary dwelling unit
You do not need a permit in order to replace the existing door and/or window with the new door and/or window of the same size.
If you have any questions or if you are not sure whether you need to obtain a permit before starting your project, do not hesitate to give us a call and we will be happy to help you out.
You can also check out the Town of Milton information page for building permits.
Secondary Suite Zoning in Milton
Adding a secondary suite to the existing property is a great way to generate more income and also to create more housing opportunities. Meeting zoning requirements is important before applying for the permit. Below we provided a short outline of the requirements, but we still strongly recommend you visit the municipal website for more information about your particular case.
- The secondary unit must be located within a detached single dwelling or semi-linked dwelling.
- Home/property wonder must have a minimum of three parking spots on the property in order to qualify.
- The size of the secondary dwelling unit cannot exceed 85 square metres (~914 sq f)
- During the construction of a secondary dwelling unit or converting the existing basement into a secondary unit, property owners must book building inspections to ensure they are meeting all the requirements and standards. You can book an inspection online. Please refer to the Town of Milton website for more detailed information.
Why Choose Egress Experts
As our name suggests egress window installation is our specialty. Without hesitation, we can proudly say that our team is the most experienced when it comes to egress windows. We guarantee to handle installations of any level of difficulty with professionalism from beginning to end.
At Egress Experts, we do not take shortcuts when it comes to completing the project and provide the best warranty. The amount of happy and satisfied customers speaks for our quality of work and reputation.
- Permit applications for your project
- Window and door enlargements
- Basement walkouts
- & many more