Egress Windows Mississauga
Window Enlargements, Cut Outs and Egress. Create a legal basement …
Reasons For Installing Egress Windows
In our experience, the most common reason most people install egress windows is to convert their basement into a legal living unit. Especially common in Mississauga, families want to create a basement suite for their parents, in-laws or children. It is important that any basement living space has an easily accessible means of escape in case of an emergency.
There are many other reasons why enlarging or cutting a window might benefit your living space:
- Capture incoming sun to bring more light and life into a room
- Create an opening that will allow you to see part of your garden or street
- Increase airflow to a dry or humid room
- Create a door cut out to install french doors or create a passage between rooms
Whatever your reason, our experts have the experience to help you plan and execute your project. Call today for a free estimate and our expert installers will be happy to offer ideas and helpful suggestions.
Mississauga Egress Windows Installation Process
Egress window installation can involve cutting, digging and moving large volumes of soil. We want to make the process smooth from beginning to end. Our process is outlined below, rest assured that we will take care of every aspect of the installation from planning to execution.
Assessment – Before the project begins, we want to understand your vision. This is the part where we listen to you and map out the project details. Our installers will come out to take measurements, explain regulations, give suggestions and help with permits (when necessary).
Scheduling – Once everything is ready for the project, we will coordinate with your schedule to find a suitable time for installation. Our goal is to accommodate your schedule to make sure the installation doesn’t interfere with your daily life.
Installation – During installation day, we will arrive at the scheduled time (usually early morning) and remove all obstacles from the immediate surroundings. We place a cloth on the floor to prevent damage to it and nearby furniture.
Finishes and Cleanup – This is the part that many companies overlook but is extremely important. In a rush to finish the job, installers often overlook the small details like making sure that sealant is properly applied and that there are no air leaks in the window. We take extra care to put in the finishing touches. Service calls are a hassle for both you and us, we try to avoid them by getting it right the first time.
Proper planning and execution are the keys to every successful renovation project. So, If you are considering a window replacement or installation project in Mississauga, give us a call today for your free estimate.
Egress Window Regulations in Mississauga, ON.
Construction projects (including Egress windows) must comply with Mississauga zoning laws as well as the Ontario building and fire codes.
According to information offered on the Mississauga municipal website, Egress windows are required in order for a living space to qualify as a second unit.
The Ontario building code addresses the regulations relevant to egress in a number of sections:
- An egress door must be installed if it necessary for a person to travel more than one storey to reach an exit
- If there is no door that provides direct access to the outside, every floor containing a bedroom must have at least one window that fits the following criteria:
- Must be opened from the inside without the use of tools
- Provides an open portion with a minimum area of 0.35m² (3.77 square ft), while no dimension is less than 38cm (15 inches).
- Remain open and maintain the above open area without any additional support
- When the window used for egress is a sliding window, the openable portion of the window will have a minimum area of 0.35m² (3.77 square ft).
- If the window opens into a window well, there will be a clearance of at least 55cm (21 inches) in front of the egress window
- If the window sash swings outwards into the window well, the operation of the sash should not be obstructed in a way that would prevent escape in case of an emergency
- If a window well cover is installed, it should be openable from the inside without any special tools or knowledge
Other portions of the Ontario building code pertaining to second living units in Mississauga can be found here.
Rebates and Renovation Incentives in Mississauga
As part of the Peel region, residents in Mississauga are eligible for certain rebates. As part of an initiative to make housing more affordable in Mississauga, the municipality encourages homeowners to renovate their houses and create additional living spaces for renters. Incentives and rebates cover a substantial part of your renovation. Program availability changes so be sure to check the following websites for current rebates:
Window Enlargement and Other services
In addition to the installation of egress windows in Mississauga, our crews offer a variety of other services:
- Enlargement of doors and windows
- Concrete cutting
- Walkout creation
- Window and door replacement
And more! Contact us for details
Second Units in Mississauga
We are often asked about creating a second legal dwelling unit and the required permits, here is what you need to know:
A second unit is a self-contained living area that is located within a detached, semi-detached or townhouse. These are often called basement apartments or accessory dwelling units.
Second units are permitted in Mississauga and must be registered as per by-law 114-16. There is no fee associated with registering a second unit, but there may be fees associated with seconds units such as building permit fees, fire inspection fees and any fees associated with renovations and drawings.
About Mississauga, ON
Mississauga is located on the shore of Lake Ontario in the municipality of Peel. Mississauga is the 6th most populous city in Canada. Mississauga is also home to a thriving business district and contains Canadas busiest airport. Residents of Mississauga are called Mississaugans.