Egress Windows Brampton
Window Enlargements, Cut Outs and Egress. Create a legal basement …
Reasons For Installing Egress Windows
In our experience, the most common reason most people install egress windows is to convert their basement into a legal dwelling unit. Especially common in Bampton, families want to create a basement suite for their parents, in-laws or children. It is important that any basement living space has an easily accessible means of escape in case of an emergency.
There are many other reasons why enlarging or cutting a window might benefit your living space:
- Capture incoming sun to bring more light and life into a room
- Create an opening that will allow you to see part of your garden or street
- Increase airflow to a dry or humid room
- Create a door cut out to install french doors or create a passage between rooms
Whatever your reason, our experts have the experience to help you plan and execute your project. Call today for a free estimate and our expert installers will be happy to offer ideas and helpful suggestions.
Brampton Egress Windows Installation Process
Egress windows can involve cutting, moving. We want to make the process smooth from beginning to end. Our process is outlined below, rest assured that we will take care of every aspect of the installation from planning to execution.
Assessment – Before the project begins, we want to understand your vision. This is the part where we listen to you and map out the project details. Our installers will come out to take measurements, explain regulations, give suggestions and help with permits (when necessary).
Scheduling – Once everything is ready for the project, we will coordinate with your schedule to find a suitable time for installation. Our goal is to accommodate your schedule to make sure the installation doesn’t interfere with your daily life.
Installation – During installation day, we will arrive at the scheduled time (usually early morning) and remove all obstacles from the immediate surroundings. We place a cloth on the floor to prevent damage to it and nearby furniture.
Finishes and Cleanup – This is the part that many companies overlook but is extremely important. In a rush to finish the job, installers often overlook the small details like making sure that sealant is properly applied and that there are no air leaks in the window. We take extra care to put in the finishing touches. Service calls are a hassle for both you and us, we try to avoid them by getting it right the first time.
Proper planning and execution are the keys to every successful renovation project. So, If you are considering a window replacement or installation project in Brampton, give us a call today for your free estimate.
Egress Window Regulations in Brampton, ON.
Similar to other municipalities in Ontario, Brampton is bound by the Ontario building code which outlines the requirements for egress windows. Here are some important regulations to keep in mind when it comes to an egress installation:
- If there is no door that provides an exit to the outside, an egress window must be installed on every floor that has a bedroom. The window must:
- Be openable from the inside without tools
- Have an open area that is no smaller than 0.35m² and no dimension that is less than 380mm
- Remain open without additional support
- Except for basements, the egress window will have a maximum bottom sill height of 1000mm above the floor
- When using slider windows, the dimensions above are applied to the openable part of the window
- Where the egress window opens into a window well, there must be a clearance of 550mm in front of the window
- If the sash of the window swings out towards the window well, it must not restrict escape
- If there is a protective enclosure installed above the window, it must be openable from the inside without the use of tools
In addition, the city of Brampton sets out specific minimum maintenance requirements for egress windows. The main points are summarised below:
- There will be a means of egress from every floor area for the safety of individuals in the building according to building code
- All means of egress from a dwelling unit will be maintained in good condition and free from obstructing objects which could cause an accident or be a fire hazard
- Every Dwelling unit* will have a separate access that provides a safe, unobstructed exit from the inside to the outside of the building at street level.
If you are considering a project but are not sure about permits and legality, call us today and we will help you plan your project and avoid penalties.
* dwelling unit as defined by By-law 135-2008
Two-Unit Dwellings in Brampton
We are often asked about creating a second legal dwelling unit and the required permits, here is what you need to know:
Second dwelling units are permitted if you own a townhouse, semi, or detached home. In order for your second unit to be legal, it must be registered with the city of Brampton. This is to ensure that the unit meets all the requirements of the Ontario Building and Fire Codes. As well as electrical safety and the local zoning requirements and restrictions. A registration system also helps the fire department know that there is a second unit in case of an emergency.
You can also view a map of all registered Two-Unit dwellings in Brampton by clicking here. Or learn more about registering your second unit.
About Brampton, ON
Brampton is situated in Southern Ontario, a suburban city within the GTA and considered part of the Peel region. The city has a population of almost 600,000 people and is the 9th most populous city in Canada. With a median age of 33.7, Brampton is the youngest city in the GTA.